[Dixielandjazz] food (% more) for the band

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Jun 28 09:22:24 PDT 2013

Fun thread albeit with some serious side thoughts.  We include the
meal/drinks in our contract if the gig is at mealtime.  Also, I try not to
have to play during the meal, as 2 brass & 3 rhythm getting up on the stage
is enough to make some say it's too loud before we even start to play!

At one party, at the British Embassador to Spain's home (he was leaving his
post), the guests got the catered meal, while the band was served food that
had been prepared especially for us by the Embassador's wife.  I thought it
was great, but some in the band felt slighted.  It was what might be termed
"commoner's fair" by some, I suppose.  However, I loved her shepherds' pie &
trifle for desert!  Some folks are never pleased!

The serious side thoughts are that it is up to the band to make the demands
in advance of the party.  It is very easy to say "we need nourishment, also"
when setting things up.  Just makes sense.

If a band is not getting paid properly, that too is the shortcoming of the
band.  The contractor will most likely prefer to pay as little as possible.
It's up to the band to weigh the situation (venue, type of event, etc.) &
come up with a price he believes his band is worth.  The meal &/or drinks
fits in with that.

I've seen riders (the requirement sheet for sound, etc.) of internationally
famous celebrities, and they include sometimes the actual brand & type of
toilet paper required in the dressing room (specifying the fragrance on the
paper required.....honest, I've seen it with my own eyes!).  Also, the type
(brand & color) of the towels, etc.  We ought to at least be able to ask for
a decent bite of food!

Jim