[Dixielandjazz] I need a Bessie Smith record label

Bruce Stangeland stangeland at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 21 17:51:54 PDT 2013

Dick,

I did a google search for "Columbia 14435-D" and found a copy for
auction on EBay.

But, the picture of the record label
<http://www.popsike.com/BESSIE-SMITH-ON-COLUMBIA-14435D/370341726586.html>
says:

"Kitchen Man
(Razaf and Belledna)

Bessie Smith
14435-D
(148487)

Is that the one your are expecting?

Cheers,
Bruce Stangeland
Berkeley banjoist

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 11:01:11 -0700
From: Dick Baker<djml at dickbaker.org>
To:dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] I need a Bessie Smith record label

Do any of you folks have Columbia 14435-D?

1. Is the title "I Got What It Takes" or "I've Got What It Takes"?

2. And is there a subtitle "(But It Breaks My Heart to Give It Away)"?

This one's maddening:  The May 13, 1929, copyright (by Clarence
Williams-Hezekiah Jenkins), the May 15 Bessie recording, and the
October 9 Clarence Williams recording (OKeh 8738) are all slightly
different from each other.

--Dick Baker