[Dixielandjazz] I need a Bessie Smith record label

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Fri Jun 21 11:01:11 PDT 2013

Do any of you folks have Columbia 14435-D?

1. Is the title "I Got What It Takes" or "I've Got What It Takes"?

2. And is there a subtitle "(But It Breaks My Heart to Give It Away)"?

This one's maddening:  The May 13, 1929, copyright (by Clarence
Williams-Hezekiah Jenkins), the May 15 Bessie recording, and the
October 9 Clarence Williams recording (OKeh 8738) are all slightly
different from each other.

--Dick Baker
Working on an updated version of the Stomp Off Records Tune Titles
and Composers Index
See working draft at http://dickbaker.org/stompoff/index.pdf