[Dixielandjazz] What constitutes a good solo?

Steve Heist steveheist at videotron.ca
Fri Jun 21 07:38:05 PDT 2013

Hi all,
Just about anything can constitute a "good" jazz solo, as you say...
But to achieve the status of a "GREAT" jazz solo, it is a half and half
marriage of technical ability and emotional impact.  One without the other
is lacking.
First, does the guy (or gal) have the "chops" to do what he/she is trying to
do?  Second, is it blowing me away emotionally, does the solo have
"feeling"?
I do believe herein lies the secret between mundane and extraordinary -  for
an example listen to Benny Goodman, a technical genius with great flowing
lines and superb emotional impact...

Examples:
Buddy Rich - fantastic technical ability, but lacking emotionally
Gene Krupa - Heart and soul emotional impact, but not the greatest technical
ability

When you listen to a solo, first ask yourself, "Does the guy have the
ability to "knock it out of the park" technically.
AND it's not just about playing a ton of notes, as a wise friend of mine
once said, "It's not about the notes you play, but more about the spaces
between the notes!"
Then ask yourself, "Is it touching me, moving me emotionally..."
Also, the improvisation should FLOW naturally...
Just a few thoughts.
Stubby