[Dixielandjazz] Discographical punctuation

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Wed Jun 19 10:03:26 PDT 2013

Regarding punctuation in titles, Sheik wrote:

> ... It's a *librarian* thing: to find individual titles consistently,
> the format has to be consistent. ...

I have all of my lead sheets scanned to PDF files (well almost all of them
-- it's a never ending process). When naming the files, I omit all
punctuation between words, and I capitalize the first letter of EVERY word
in each title. For example,

Mandy, Make Up Your Mind

...becomes...

Mandy Make Up Your Mind

...and...

Curse of an Aching Heart

...becomes...

Curse Of An Aching Heart

The reason is that when these titles are all file names in a directory, the
computer places them in alphabetical order -- and the punctuation messes up
the alphabetical order. Also, the computer treats upper case and lower case
letters differently when alphabetizing. The objective is to find a file
quickly, and to have all versions of the same tune's lead sheet come up
together.

I don't drop punctuation within words -- words such as Can't or Won't or
Don't retail their apostrophes...

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers