[Dixielandjazz] Update on jazz photographer Gene Hyden

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Sun Jun 16 15:31:31 PDT 2013

To: DJML and Musicians and Jazzfans list

From: Norman Vickers

Re:  Update on jazz photographer Gene Hyden

Many on both lists know jazz photographer and fan Gene Hyden.  He was active
for many years in Potomac River Jazz Club and photographed many, especially
traditional, jazz events locally and nationally.  When he retired, he
realized his ambition to move to New Orleans and participate in the jazz
activities there.  He weathered Hurricane Katrina.  Some weeks ago he was
hospitalized in New Orleans for heart and kidney failure.  When he recovered
sufficiently, he moved to Bennington, KS where his daughter Ami, a nurse,
could assist and oversee his medical care.  During this time, of course, he
has not been in communication much with the outside world, either by phone
or computer.

I talked with him by phone  today and he reported that he's off dialysis and
kidney function has returned almost to normal.

He's getting around with a walker.  He hopes to be settled soon, get his
computer back online and resume contact with friends. He didn't want me to
give a phone # or address just yet, saying that he hoped to resume contact
with his friends soon.  But, I did get permission to give this update.  I
know that his friends will be glad to know that he's improving.

--End--