[Dixielandjazz] Electro Swing's take on Mildred Bailey:

Fuzzy fuzzymail at fuzzyjazz.com
Thu Jun 13 18:53:36 PDT 2013

(Warning:  Light-hearted, Tongue-in-cheek, long-winded response)

Bob,

I don't know...what I've found is that OKOM gets kids interested in OKOM.

My observation is that the following must be true in order to get kids
interested in OKOM:

First, the kid needs to be exposed to OKOM.
Second, the performers need to be excellent so that the kid appreciates the
professional skill/hard work which was required to produce that music.

>From my perspective...that's about all that's needed.  I figure that's how
most of us became interested in OKOM. I know that's the case for me.

Let's face it - if you play a wind instrument, playing trad jazz is outright
rebellious, right?!  We're the cool, rebellious, kids!!  :)

Believe it or not, the way I see most "kids" being exposed to our music
right now is via violent video games.  The game developers seem to enjoy the
irony/contrast.  Many times, I'll find a response to OKOM on YouTube which
states something to the effect of "Thumbs up if Fallout3 brought you here."
Fallout3 is a violent video game.  (This was in response to Bob Crosby's
"Dear Hearts and Gentle People") - but there have been many more.

Notice the two highest "thumb's up" comments on this Bob Crosby tune ("Way
Back Home") https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSBco8kVuZM pertain to "Enclave
Soldiders" and "Paladin's" - these are characters from the violent games.
Viewed more than 400,000 times due to violent video games.  2,376 "thumb's
up" is pretty good.  Compare this traffic with the professional OKOM band in
the corner bar, and you'll see around 400 or 500 views and 10 or 11 likes.
The trick is in figuring out how to expose kids to the music.

Likewise, OKOM in TV commercials draws a large crowd.  The responses on
YouTube will be, "I can't believe a waffle commercial brought me here!" - or
something to that effect.

So, basically, simply exposing the kids to quality versions of the music
actually results in their search for the source of that music.  Same for the
violent "Call of Duty" World War II games using period 1940s swing charts.
It really gets the kids excited.  Too many times I read statements about,
"Man this is REAL music!  Not the @*$) stuff they CALL music now.  I wish
people still cared about music and made @)($($#* stuff like this!"

I think the trick is in finding a way to expose more kids to OKOM in their
own home towns, and home environments.  QUALITY stuff in the parks or other
family-accessible/affordable venues.  I don't have this "trick" of funding
such an endeavor figured out yet - but I think that's the answer.

On the other hand, I never met anyone who told me their gateway to OKOM was
Taco singing "Putting on the Ritz."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmSqhi5l9_k (Click this link at your own
peril, and don't say I didn't warn you - you can't unhear it!!)   ;)

Just my thoughts from the big plains where there isn't a band playing OKOM
within hundreds of miles most nights and I am forced to snuggle up with the
various OKOM bands each night via YouTube.

Since the board has been quiet lately, I figured this could help stir it up
a bit!  :)

Warm and,
Fuzzy
(Regards)