[Dixielandjazz] Preservation Hall Jazz Band in Des Moines

Joe Carbery joe.carbery at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 18:01:29 PDT 2013

I watched it all. It's certainly not George Lewis or anyone from  that era
and some may bemoan the absence of clarinet and banjo.The mixture of styles
is very eclectic, but the band is from New Orleans and they play jazz. The
alto player is very R&B influenced and various of the rhythms (eg on "St
James") are very much of the present era. I liked the touch of  hokum, the
fact that they were there to entertain and the care they took with their
dress. It wasn't of the first rank as far as jazz is concerned, but it's
possible to enjoy a lower grade football or basketball match for itself.
One doesn't have to drink vintage wine all the time. I enjoyed the band on
its own merits.

Regards,

Joe Carbery.