[Dixielandjazz] Riverwalk again

Donald Mopsick dmopsick at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 15:01:06 PDT 2013

DJML: Listees, Dudes, Dudettes, Cats, Kitties, etc.

It's been a while since I've posted here. I still see folks here who've
been with us since, well before the beginning, sir. Yes I'm a charter DJML
member and darn proud too.

The DJML came into being in '95 the year after I bought my first computer.
Before I joined DJML at Pete Lovric's invitation I had tried out a few
music-oriented listservs and been through some pretty rough flame wars,
complete with death threats 'n shit.

I'm sure some smart person has written a treatise on internet group
dynamics, how easy it is for people's feelings to get hurt, the temptation
to hide behind false identities, etc. Now, it's a little amusing to read
the exchanges between newbies and old hands. As Dave Gannett says, "We
learn by doing."

So what I'm getting around to is that some of you have been Riverwalk Jazz
and Cullum Band listeners also from before the beginning. Also many who
came later to the party. I just want to let you folks know that Stanford is
getting serious with streaming their RWJ collection. You can see the second
iteration of the site here:

http://riverwalkjazz.stanford.edu/

For those on DJML unfamiliar with Riverwalk Jazz, a lot of the shows are on
traditional jazz topics: King Oliver, ODJB, Armstrong, Jelly, Fats, etc.
but others are about swing, BG, Artie, even a show on Zoot and Al called
the "Brotherhood of Prez." There have been over the years some great
guests: Kenny Davern, Bob Barnard, Bob Haggart, Bob Wilber, Marty Grosz,
Milt Hinton, Sweets Edison, Clark Terry, Ralph Sutton, Benny Carter, Vince
Giordano, and especially Dick Hyman. Major singers still singing jazz today
like Rebecca Kilgore, Banu Gibson, Stephanie Nakasian, Catherine
Russell,etc. Guest bands like Paul Mehling and the Hot Club of San
Francisco, the Fulton Street Stompers, New Black Eagles, etc.

The new site is HTML-5-based and friendlier to more kinds of platforms such
as tablets, iPhones, etc.

Let us know what you think.

There is a long-term commitment to stream the entire RWJ collection of over
350 hour-long shows continuously for a period of decades. I know that YOU
have heard a lot of them over the years in reruns and compilations, but
there are a lot of nuggets in the older shows that haven't been on the air
in decades.

Best,

mopo

dmopsick at gmail.com