[Dixielandjazz] Skip the gutter

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jun 3 14:42:42 PDT 2013

David richoux wrote:
> I thought everybody knew the SOL part of that title translates as "Sh#t Outta (Out Of) Luck"
> That is still a pretty common bit of slang in America.
> http://dippermouth.blogspot.com/2012/11/85-years-of-hot-seven-sol-bluesgully.html

Dear Dave,
I did, although rereading my email reference to the tune and its retitling "Gully Low Blues" (also the queried by some) I may have given the impression that I was also querying these titles.
In fact, it was the late eminent discographer Walter C Allen who, in a letter back in 1948-9, told me what SOL meant.
The Australian meaning at that time was "Sh#t on the liver" (bad-tempered, angry, dissatisfied).
In addition to the link you provided (which I have read and bookmarked previously) the subject of the Hot Five's "SOL/Gully Low Blues" recording  has been discussed at length in the Charles Hiroshi Garrett book 'struggling to define a nation. american music and the twentieth century' (2008. University of California Press) in the chapter, 'Louis Armstrong and the Great Migration'. Worth reading for its in-depth assessment of Louis. There is also an interesting chapter regarding Jelly Roll Morton and the Spanish Tinge.
Very kind regards,
Bill.