[Dixielandjazz] Paying The Piper: Music Streaming Services In Perspective

Bert Brandsma mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 30 00:41:45 PDT 2013

Thanks! Very interesting article.
Of course it is no surprise that big companies are only interested in big money.
Even companies like ASCAP, who's duty it is to be there for the interest of their composers have been caught on doubtable behaviour.
Some 2 years ago this once was really proved in a phonecall, to a laywer. This was even on the TV news then for one day. The Director ( of Buma /stemra, more or less the Dutch version of ASCAP ) who made that mistake was then fired. (without a doubt with a load of cash to make up).
One question one could ask is whether he was fired for his deeds, or only because he was caught?

Of course Buma/stemra simply then went on with business as usual.

Oh yes, the salary of a Director at BUMA was : € 379.000,- per year in 2011.  ( = more than half a million US dollar)Without a doubt totally in relationship with what the average composer is earning..... or not?
Just one example of course.
Kind regards,
Bert Brandsma