[Dixielandjazz] Is "elegant" a musical term?

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Wed Jul 17 15:09:00 PDT 2013

Hi All,

"I agree, Ken. I've seen the word applied to mathematical solutions and always felt it was apt. When applied to a jazz soloist two names that spring instantly to mind are Lester Young and Louis."

Another is Benny Carter. Indeed, almost every review of a Carter recording or concert that I can recall used that adjective. In Benny's case, it fitted the way he wrote, dressed, talked and conducted himself in life as well as his playing. Even his most elaborate ornamentations had a logical flow which maintained the development and thrust of the underlying musical idea, so, in the case of his alto-playing, "elegant" could imply a bit more than concision. He had concision too, but "refined ostentation" was also part of his armoury and it was his good taste which determined how and when they were deployed. His trumpet-playing was generally a bit simpler in its execution than his alto-playing, so it was generally "elegant" in the sense of concise and well-constructed. However "elegant" seems to me to be a word invented with Benny Carter in mind.

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson