[Dixielandjazz] Flirting With The Audience, now "museum music"

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat Jul 6 13:01:13 PDT 2013

Jim Kash wrote:

Bob wrote:

>Yup, that is the way it is. We are now playing museum music.

Jim answered:

Gee, I hate to always be painting this brighter picture, but we have 16

nights this month in a downtown Madrid club.  Kids from all over the world

walk in off of the pedestrian only street & enjoy all our music.  Ended up

last nite with What a Wonderful World with everyone joining in on at least

the end of each phrase.

Make it happy & vibrant and everyone will enjoy!  It's the way in how you

play it....

Jim, in Madrid

Oops there Jim, now you are starting to sound like a former member of DJML.

Must I remind you that you are not in the United States? There is no way in any town in the U.S. where a Dixieland type band can work 16 nights in one month. Maybe NY or New Orleans, but that is it.

Jim, come over here and try it in SF, LA, Chicago, St Louis, Philadelphia, Seattle, Miami, or where ever.

I don’t know of any club in NY where one band is playing 16 nights in one month.

Not even Jim Cullum now with his world wide radio exposure.

As I said, that’s progress…

-Bob Ringwald