[Dixielandjazz] Flirting With The Audience

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Sat Jul 6 12:13:18 PDT 2013

lol ... well the Owen Sound school kids all know about OKOM! One of
our trombone players told us a year ago "Nobody listens to *this* kind
of music anymore" only we found out last Christmas that he had added
Louis Armstrong Hot Fives to his ipod ;)

Museum music?  Them's fightin' words: it was raw teen punk moxy when
Nick LaRocca took the stage in 1916 and played to dropped jaws and
silence that turned to wild abandon to the wee hours of the morning,
and it still is Young Punks On Rhythm in our books :)

I even get to yell out, "Because you can't get enough Jelly Roll in
Owen Sound on a Saturday afternoon!" (which, social workers telll me,
is perhaps not entirely true ;)

the titles that actually upsets these kids are Copenhagen ("You can't
tell them it was a brand of *tobacco*!!") and the Tin Roof Blues (only
because back in its major-port pre-prohibition-era days Owen Sound had
it's own Tin Roof namesake where the ladies were similarly 'employed'
-- my boys only let me hint at it -- little do these Canadians know
the real story behind the Maple Leaf Rag!!)

--
*Teledyn Addendum: teledyn blogspot ca*
*eso: **EighthStreetOrchestra blogspot ca*