[Dixielandjazz] Preservation Hall goes in some really different directions!

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 10:21:48 PDT 2013

I believe that this issue has already been discussed here.  The powers that
be decided (perhaps for a good reason) that playing only traditional jazz
couldn't keep the Hall going, and hence they had to branch out.  Therefore,
now they feature other kinds of music at the Hall and on tha Preservation
Hall JB tours.
That may be all right, but not for me!
Anyway, the Hall took a wrong turn after the old musicians died out.  At
first, the band was limited as to tune selection, and the way it could play
them.  Tha stifled improvisation and made the band sound stiff.  I canno be
sure, but that must have affected the audience.  This, together with
changing economic climate, has caused further changes.
Cheers