[Dixielandjazz] Paul Smith's "The Best of Irving Garner"

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Tue Jul 2 19:35:22 PDT 2013

J McClernan wrote:

>Wasn't Paul Smith the guy who recorded the album, "The Best of Irving Garner"?
>Les Muscutt gave me that years ago and I laughed so hard the tears
>ran down my leg.
>Cheers,
>John

Indeed!  It's a piano satire in the vein of, but far more subtle
than, Paul Weston/Jonathan Edwards.  I discovered that LP a couple of
years ago while I was working on my Spike Jones collection, the
connection being that the face of Irving Garner reflected in the
piano on the cover is actually that of Freddy Morgan, Spike Jones's
daffy banjoist.  I remastered the extremely rare LP to CD; I've put
it on my web site if any of you are curious enough to look it up.

Point your browsers at

         http://dickbaker.org/smith-garner/

and help yourselves.

--