[Dixielandjazz] Jack, The Good For Nothing?

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Wed Jan 30 21:16:53 PST 2013

Forgive my asking what has likely been asked 10,000 times already on this
list, but I'm late to the party: I was reading the recollections of Nick
LaRocca in that old 1960's book on the Original Dixieland Jazz Band, and
arrived at the part about the band's cameo appearance in the 1917 silent
film "Jack, The Good For Nothing" -- in the book they mistakenly confuse
this with the 1914 Chaplin film of a similar name, and while I can find the
Chaplin film all over the internet, to my shock and horror, I can't even
find a single still frame from the 1917 Carlyle Blackwell film, and indeed
some sources say "Survival status: unknown"

Is this true? Has not even the twenty-first century located a viewable copy
of this precious piece of jazz history?

it is a interesting (e)book, some details to be taken with a grain of salt
I suppose (hiring a drunk to shout "Jass it up!"?) and supports what was
said here earlier about 4/4 vs cut-time in the context of that 'jazz'
music, but with a rather different take on the history of the influx of the
copy-cat bands and the ODJB's subsequent tour of England.

--
*Have Blog, Will Travel: blog.teledyn.com*
*A Serviceable Substitute: post.teledyn.com*