[Dixielandjazz] Ruby Braff & His International Quartet Plus Three

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 09:25:15 PST 2013

What makes it "international?"
I originally received that LP (Chiaroscuro CR 115) as one of the
two-record set "An Evening with Earl Hines."  I wrote Chiaroscuro
requesting the other hines LP in the Braff Sleeve; instead, they sent
me the other LP in plain sleeve, free of charge.
The musicians, apart from Braff, are Dick Hyman, Milt Hinton and
Dorothy Dodgion.  The additional three are Jerry Dodgion (Dorothy's
hubby), Sam Margolis and Howard Collins.  As far as I know, all are
American.
By the way, I have never encountered Margolis ouside the Braff
context; Braff seemed to have used him quite a lot, at least - in the
studios.  So who IS Sam Margolis?
Cheers