[Dixielandjazz] Ellington - Eastbourne Performance

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 15:05:30 PST 2013

How memory plays tricks on you!
I was very excited when I bought that album some 1000 years ago (no.
288 in my collection).  And then the disappointment came - it was SO
much less exciting that the recordings with Johnny Hodges!  I have
always remembered it as not so good.
But now, after some 6 years, I played it again, and wow! - what a
wonderful records (except for the vocals)!
Unlike Bill, I like all periods of Ellington, although I am not a
member of "the Duke can do no wrong" brigade - I am not too keen on
his "concert" compositions which somehow seem to miss both the
classical and the jazz contexts.  Or things like the Sacred Concerts,
My Peoplw or The Drume Is a Woman.  But his band always sounded good,
when not marred by Wild Bill DAvis' organ.
Cheers