[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong and Chimes Blues

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jan 25 13:36:52 PST 2013

Bob Smith wrote:
> After the recording with Oliver, Armstrong only made one more recording of 'Chimes Blues'.
> I have three versions of this later recording (1959), and all three are in stereo...etc...
> Was anyone at this concert in Los Angeles and can confirm which of the above (if any) is correct?

Dear Bob,
What concert?
It is from Audio Fidelity recording sessions on 30 September - 2 October 1959.
And there are alternate versions of "Chimes Blues" (and other tunes).
Not separate 'takes' but edited versions of the edited 'master' takes.
I have it on LP and several CDs, but have never sat down in an attempt to sort it out.
The late meticulous Jos Willems obviously did.
Very kind regards,
Bill.