[Dixielandjazz] Django Reinhardt's birthday celebrated on Dave Ramsey's Rifftides blog

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Fri Jan 25 06:04:58 PST 2013

To: Musicians and Jazzfans list; DJML

From: Norman Vickers

One of life's pleasures, for me, is exploring the music blogs on Arts
Journal.  See www.artsjournal.com  One my subscribe- free.

Doug Ramsey's Rifftides blog today celebrates birthday of Django Reinhardt
and there's a video of DR's famous tune Nuages. (Translate=clouds)  This was
recorded in December 1940 in Paris. Recall that Paris fell to the Germans in
the summer of 1940.  So, here was the famous gypsy musician performing
freely in Paris while his fellow gypsies were being taken to the
concentration camps, just like the Jews. During the video clip featuring the
lovely music, various photos are  shown-many of Django,of course, and one
photo of Michael Dregni's excellent biography of Django. I highly recommend
it-well written and well researched.

Also, our listmate and President of Jazz Journalists Association , Howard
Mandel has a blog in same Music section of Arts Journal entitled "Jazz
Beyond Jazz."

Here's the link to Doug Ramsey's Rifftides blog celebrating Django's
birthday.

http://www.artsjournal.com/rifftides/2013/01/its-django-reinhardts-birthday.
html

--End--