[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz!

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 14:37:09 PST 2013

Just back from yet another Swing de Gitanes show, with guest
singer-tap dancer Ronnie Freund, held at teh Inbal Dance and Ethnic
Centre in the oldest quarter of Tel-Aviv.  The  smallish venue (12 or
13 14 chair rows) was almost full.  The audience varied in age from
very young to the elderly; unfortunately, yours truly beongs to the
latter.  Not really a jazz audience, so rather than applauding each
solo, it applauded each number.  The applause was quite enthusiastic,
though.  It had its advantages - one could hear the beginnning of the
next solo.  It was the first time I saw Ronnie Freund without his
stage outfit, but rather  just a shirt and trousers - I would not have
recognized him!  He is a good singer, and a very good dancer - not
only tap dancer.  Has he got rhythm!  I did notremember him as a mime,
but here he jumped the rope and rode a horse, all without missing a
beat.  He got tumultous applause - for many it might have been their
first time they saw a tap dancer in real life.  The other soloist that
did receive applause for his solos was the bass palyer Oren Sagi.   A
very nice evening, albeit not long enough (it did last an hour and a
half without an interval; it just felt very short).
Unfortunately, most of my jazz friends chose not to come, but rather
listen to CDs at a freind's house.
Cheers