[Dixielandjazz] Lester Young and Jimmy Noone

Rick Campbell ricksax at comcast.net
Tue Jan 22 12:44:34 PST 2013

Robert Calder wrote:
<The same's actually the case with Barney Bigard, who switched from tenor to clarinet.>

I think a little research will indicate that Bigard was always primarily a clarinetist who was asked (forced?) to double on tenor sax ensemble parts by Duke to fill out the section.
Duke noted as much in "Music Is My Mistress" when he said that "Ben Webster was our first tenor saxophone soloist."
When Duke wanted a sax solo in the early years, it went to Johnny Hodges, Otto Hardwick or Harry Carney, not Barney.

Rick Campbell
Portland, Oregon USA
503-701-7356
ricksax at comcast.net