[Dixielandjazz] Lester Young and Jimmie Noone

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 03:36:40 PST 2013

Well,
As I have mentioned, I still hear great resemblance between Young's
clarinet and tenor playing and the Creole clarinet style.  I have
never likened his playing to a particular clarinet player.  Louis
Cottrell was Creole, just like Noone or Omer Simeon; each had a
different and recognizable style, but there was somethig common in it.
 Dodds and some other New Orleans clarinet players had a rougher
sound, a far cry from Lester's.
I have heard Kid Michall, but not enough to form an opinion (he
probably did not record enough).

Both Young and Benny Carter credited Frank Trumbauer with influencing
their playing, the former especially so.
Enough - time to go out and vote (it's the elections day).
Cheers