[Dixielandjazz] Whiteman controversy

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 13:44:41 PST 2013

Does a magazine description of music as "jazz" make it such?  I wonder.
When I was a young jazz fan in Poland, and then (since age 16) in
Israel, Rock'n'Roll was described as jazz in both countries. So was
Latin-American music.  It was only listening which showed me they
weren't.  I risked being kicked up from the boarding school I attended
in my first year here to run away and see Evis Presley films, or The
Tommy Steele Story (boarding schools here are nothing like the English
public schools, Judy - my stay there was financed by the Jewish
Agency, which saved my parents money they hadn't).

All of which does not mean I don't consider some of the Whiteman music
jazz.  True, his band played a lot of saccharinve ballads, but so did,
much later, that of Erskine Hawkins, and probably many of our revered
swing bands as well; Tommy Dorsey comes to mind.
Cheers