[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 15:14:49 PST 2013

 Just back from another Eli Preminger (trumpet) gig at the Piano Bar
in Tel-Aviv.  The very small bar, with just a few tables, was very
crowded - Eli's dancing followers came to hear him and dance (no room
for more than two couples, but they enjoyed it anyway).
Eli had with him two young musicians - Ilan Smilan (transliteration
from Hebrew) and Tal Cohen.  In addition, there were guests: Amnon
Ben-Artzi, a veteran trombone player (and the co-leader of the
Stompers), who started to play jazz in 1983 (or 1984), and a very
young clarinet player Itamar Wagner.  For one number, my friend Donna
Radin sat in.
This time, some of my other jazz friends attended, and the five of us
must have doubled the average age of the audience, most of which was
in their twenties or early thirties, even though they outnumberd us by
at least one to three.  At least, I was not the oldest listener.
A very enjoyable evening, albeit short: although scheduled for 9PM,
music did not start until 9:30, and had to stop before 11PM due to the
Piano Bar's location in a residential area.
I believe that I have already mentioned it, but I'll say it again:
Eli's visit to the US and sitting in with other musicians in New
Orleans and at the New York Inner Ear. And the rhythm section DID
swing!
One can only hope that the youngsters continue to play our kind of music!
Cheers