[Dixielandjazz] Don Rayno interviewed - A Full Portrait of Jazz Great Paul Whiteman

Judy Eames jude at judyeames.co.uk
Fri Jan 18 05:08:40 PST 2013

On 17/01/2013 23:16, Marek Boym wrote:
> All that is true, but, neverhteless, Whiteman, although instrumental
> to the development of white jazz, was neither the king of jazz (a
> title he did not create) nor a jazz giant.

In the context of "now" maybe not but in his day he probably was. He
featured a lot in the British "Melody Maker" and his concerts were a
sell-out.  I know this because we've got 12 volumes 1926 to 1931. He
came here ... not sure when, but we're pretty snowbound here in
Oxfordshire UK so I'll see what else I can find out.

Wish we were on the cruise.

Jude

www.judyeames.co.uk