[Dixielandjazz] Cut time - 2 feel and New Orleans

vaxtrpts at aol.com vaxtrpts at aol.com
Thu Jan 17 12:24:13 PST 2013

 Not sure who Keith Vaz or Keith Vax might be.......  HA!

New Orleans street music is really felt in 2.  Probably since it does come from march music. I have always felt that the New Orleans street beat is basically a "hipped-up" version of a march.  Here is where some of the legacy from Europe met the legacy from Africa.
When I first moved to New Orleans in 1975, I thought I knew a lot about traditional jazz, but was quickly given a lesson in the "true" feel of the music from their standpoint.  Hanging with people like Freddy Kohlman, Papa French, Louis Cotrell, Alvin Alcorn, Placide Adams, Frog Joseph, Sweet Emma, and so many more - really gave me not only a perspective on New Orleans Heritage and the music thereof, but also a deep respect for their creativity and commitment to the music.