[Dixielandjazz] Uptempo vs cut time

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 13:37:04 PST 2013

Hello Ken,
I've found the following on the following website:
piano.about.com/od/musicaltermsa1/g/GL_cuttime.htm
Definition: Cut time (or “cut common time”) is a 4/4 time signature
that’s been rhythmically “cut” to manipulate rhythm and/or tempo. Cut
time can be written as 2/2, or as a c-shaped symbol with a vertical
slash (see image).

Cut time is used for the following rhythmic effects:

    To Mimic a March: The rhythm of 2/2 time is similar to that of 2/4
- also known as “march” time - because both have the downbeat on every
other beat.

The Castle was not the only band which played "After You've Gone at
medium tempo.  I have recently heard several versions from the 1920's
which were much slower tha nhas become customary.
Cheers