[Dixielandjazz] Disavowing our roots

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 09:09:58 PST 2013

> Also, read this letter, and my original, twice to fully capture what I'm
> really saying - -The jazz societies each have a charter.   Our Stockton
> society has one. Along the same lines , each has a statement like this in
> the By-Laws.  Our  By-laws state:
>
> The object is this Society shall be to: (a)- preserve and promote
> Dixieland Jazz music; (b) provide a common meeting place where Dixieland
> Jazz musicians may perform their art to interested audiences; (c) provide
> interested musicians with the opportunity to become more proficient in the
> performance of Dixieland Jazz;  (d) provide liaison and exchange between
> Dixieland Jazz musicians and the listening public.
>

> No other type of music defined by the adjective "Dixieland"  is allowed AS
> DEFINED BY CHARTER..  ( Some clubs replace"Dixieland Jazz" with
> "Traditional Jazz").

Having carefully read your by-laws, I have not seen anything there actually
PROHIBITING any other types of music.  Under the Anglo-Saxon law, whatever
is not prohibited by law is allowed.  It is true even in countries whose
laws are based on Roman law and the Napoleonic Code.

> So sorry, but  King Oliver, Jelly Roll Norton

YOu mean Morton, of course.  As Anton has stated, Armstron did yoddle at
leas once (and it sounded awful).

and Louis Armstrong  are dead.  The societies were started to preserve and
> honor the style of music they played "way back when".

Actually, when the societies were established, they had no history in mind,
but rather giving pleasure to members; at the time most had been
established, jazz was quite popular (again, I refuse to apply the name
"jazz" to what is - erroneously, in my opinion - called "modern jazz").

I hardly think it is your job to guess what they would be doing today.  The
> Charters I constantly refer to state exactly what we must be doing.  We are
> not supposed to operate, using the by-laws, in any fashion other than to
> preserve traditional music. Period.  Period with an exclamation mark.   The
> By-Laws of our societies are supposed to be like the U.S. Constitution in
> what we follow and obey.   Otherwise, we may as well kiss them off and call
> them By-Bys, laws not to be upheld.

See comment above.