[Dixielandjazz] (no subject)

Donald Mopsick dmopsick at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 11:20:58 PST 2013

Denizens of the DJML:

I'm sitting here playing "drop the needle" and listening to the new
Riverwalk Jazz double stream.

http://riverwalkjazz.stanford.edu/

Here's the deal: somewhere north of 300 shows were created so far in
the Riverwalk Jazz public radio series. The series is still on the air
on about 200 nationwide public radio stations and Sirius/XM on
Sundays. The Stanford Library of Recorded Sound acquired the
collection and made it into two continuous streams of hour-long shows:
one starting at show #1 and the other starting at show #150 or so.
Each stream takes about 18 days to cycle through all the shows.

Stanford has committed to running this double loop for at least 25
years. We can't exactly tell you which show is coming up next, but you
can hear shows that haven't been on the year in over a decade. It's
kind of a "drop the needle," "box-'o-chocolates' experience.

After a few initial hiccups, the website and stream seem to be
functioning OK now. Right now on stream 1 I'm listening to the Gospel
show with Evan Christopher doing his chart on "Over in the Gloryland."
On stream 2 I caught Rebecca Kilgore and Ron Hockett and the the
rhythm section swinging Artie Shaw's "Moon Ray."

A few things occur to me. One is that the show covers a lot of ground
in its variety of pre-war jazz topics. For example, I'm listening now
to Dick Hyman and John Sheridan stomp their way through a 2-piano
version a 1926 stride piano novelty rag by Rube Bloom, "Spring Fever."
Later in the same show I heard Becky Kilgore croon her way through
"Suddenly It's Spring" as only she can.

Another is the generally high level of musicianship for a "live" show.
We typically had one run-through before recording with the audience,
and very rarely resorted to the back-up, so most of what you hear was
the live show, warts and all.

Since I was in the middle of it, I should really let others make their
comments, but I wanted you to be aware of this new format and drop in
sometime. It could be like having your own personal Riverwalk Jazz
satellite channel for your home soundtrack (or maybe its more like
Pandora). I know of no other series doing it like this, it's the
bleeding edge of this kind of media presentation.

mopo

--
http://about.me/donmopsick