[Dixielandjazz] Question about song writers or Publishers

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jan 2 13:26:37 PST 2013

Robert Ringwald asked:
> Looking for info on Nolan-Shaffer. They are listed as credit on the song: "It's Different When it Happens to You"
> Anita O'Day recording.

Dear Bob,
The following is all I can come up with at the moment.
I assume that the Anita O'Day recording you refer to is the one with Will Bradley's Orchestra made for Signature in September 1947. (Which I do not have.)
Lloyd Shaffer, composer, radio conductor - arranger and recording artist was born in Ridgway PA on 21 September 1901.
He joined ASCAP in 1949.
Entered radio in Cincinnati in 1927 as conductor-arranger.
To New York in 1933 as conductor for radio and recording companies.
Works: Three Etchings; Prologue; 20th Century Madrigal; Nude March, (from Mr. Godiva).
Songs: "Smoke Dreams" [no, not that one]; "I Want To Be a Star"; "Little Bad Penny"; "It's DifTrent, When It Hap­pens To You"; "Simpatico".
Lloyd Shaffer conducted the music for the Chesterfield Supper Club program from New York from 1945 to 1948, when he was replaced by Mitchell Ayres.
He was the resident conductor with Perry Como's radio show from October 1946 to July, 1947 and recorded fourteen tracks with him.
So far, I have been unable to find who 'Nolan' may have been.
Armed with the above, I'll bet anything that my DJML listmate David Richoux will be able to fill in a few more gaps.
Very kind regards,
Bill.