[Dixielandjazz] black bloody bad Netiquette Blues

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 28 22:10:21 PST 2013

One of the problems in sorting out whether Dorsey or King Oliver played on the one item I have known for longest (since it turned up on its own on an LP by Various Artistes) is the impeccable performance of the same sequence of notes on each of the two choruses, and the absence of variations from the hornman.

Anybody who normally played a lot like King Oliver might sound minimally different if not playing any phrases recognisably non-Oliver.

I should also make clear that I'm not making a negative observation in pointing out this character of the trumpet part. It was done beautifully and actually a daring thing to do. In fact unpredictable.

and very economical, unlike the bad netiquette again

<<<<<<<<

<
nice as all these links were

nice as all these links were