[Dixielandjazz] Re Dorseys on trumpet

Christopher Cook cook at bluewin.ch
Tue Feb 26 23:54:02 PST 2013

Dear Christopher (should it have been Chris?),
I have most of the stuff (by no means all).  According not only to
discographies but also to peronnels given by the Lang-Venuti double
album on CBS, it's King Oliver on the "Blind Willie Dunn sides.  You
say it's Jimmy Dorsey, and that the date is incorredt, too.  May I
enquire what your soueces are?
Cheers (finally going to have that beer),
Marek

Dear Marek,
I think you mean Tommy not Jimmy - the give away is 'Blue Blood Blues' which
Tommy Dorsey recorded a week earlier under the title "You Can't Cheat A
Cheater". There is an interesting account of this session written by "mog"
presumably Dan Morgenstein in the booklet accompanying Mosaic's "The Classic
Columbia And OKeh Joe Venuti And Eddie Lang Sessions".
In the last few days 'with a little help from my friends' the list has
become much longer.
Yours aye, Christopher