[Dixielandjazz] Thrift Set Orchestra

Augustine Daniel ds.augustine at utexas.edu
Tue Feb 26 21:01:04 PST 2013

    You can see 'em next month when you're here in Austin for the Honk!TX bands.  They also play in various other (mostly OKOM) bands around Austin.  David Jellema (cornet and clarinet) has subbed for and played with Jim Cullum at times, and Hal Smith just moved to San Antonio and plays with Cullum.  Jon Doyle (alto sax, clarinet) is currently touring with Tuba Skinny in New Zealand and Australia, as is the banjo player Westen Borghesi (who happens to be 7'1" tall).  Ryan Gould plays at the Elephant Room with the Jazz Pharaohs, and Albanie Falletta has her own band.  I've played in bands with some of them.  Great sound.

    Dan