[Dixielandjazz] All Star Put Down

Beth Schweitzer beth at portafortuna.com
Mon Feb 25 06:44:54 PST 2013

I agree with Bob that the name doesn't really matter if the talent holds
up to it, and in the case of the Bay Area All Stars it certainly does,
as is also with Clint Baker's Cafe Borrone All Stars.

However, unless I know first hand the talent and personalities of the
band members, I tend to shy away from "All Star" bands. Mostly because
it implies to me a band that has been brought together from individuals
from other bands at a festival in order to add another band name to the
list.

Sometimes this works incredibly well, but other times there is simply no
one-stage connection between the players, and while they might be
individually talented, the combination ends up, at best, boring. In the
two Bay Area cases above, these guys play together regularly so this is
not a problem for them. Or me. I would go hear them every time if I
lived nearby.

In fact, I  would go so far as to call them the Bay Area Super Stars.

Not having seen the original post in this thread either, I will shut up
now.

Cheers,
Beth