[Dixielandjazz] ODJB Columbias

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 24 16:41:29 PST 2013

Marek Boym wrote:
> Strange that Rust should have been influenced by Brunn...

Dear Marek.
I doubt that he was.
It would have been from when Brian was invited to New Orleans in June 1959 by Nick LaRocca.
..."it was as his guest, and he booked me a room in the St. Francis Hotel on Royal Street and gave me lunch and as much time as I wanted. He wasn’t by any means as bitter or as churlish as I had been led to expect ("you don’t want to bother with him - he’s a big-mouth braggart") but he resented the lionisation of some jazzmen, actual or alleged, though he thought the world of Louis and Bix. His memory was crystal-clear, and his reminiscences were detailed and fascinating."

The H O Brunn book was not published until 1960 and would have used the same LaRocca information.
Which is why we discographers rely on the real facts contained in the recording files.
8>)

> ...my 1948 Delauney indeed gives 31 May as the date of the Columbias.

So does mine. Which I had overlooked.
My 1939 Delauney also cites 'May 1919' along with the Victor release.
However, he lists the Victor first.
More kind regards,
Bill.