[Dixielandjazz] Happy Anniversary

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 09:47:11 PST 2013

Actually, the  ODJB recorded two numbers - Darktown Strutters' Ball
and Indiana earlier (inJanuary 1917), but the Columbia powers that be
decided that the music was too wild.  So the ODJB signed with Victor
and the rest is history.
What you mean is the first ISSUED jazz record.

When the craze started, Columbia tried to cash in on those two
numbers, but Victor sued and Columbia had to withdraw them.  They
remained in the vaults for many years, to be reissued as part of
Columbia's "Jazz Odyssey" series in the 1960's; they might have been
reissued previously, but I don't think they were (if I'm wrong, I
depend on Bill to correct me).  Although put down for many years by
critics, I've loved the ODJB from the first hearing.
Cheers