[Dixielandjazz] All Star put downs????

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Sat Feb 23 20:17:52 PST 2013

1919?!  The ODJB had only just hit London by this point; was there really a
jazz scene happening in Australia so soon? Not to sound patronizing or
anything, I'm just a bit surprised that the world was so small in 1919
(although I'm sure WW1 helped to shrink it considerably) -- I have a copy
of an early Combo Ork book published in Australia, which suggests a very
healthy band scene there, but I think it dates from the mid to late
twenties.

I do know in my own hometown of Winnipeg, in the geographic centre of North
America (or not far from it) and which we affectionately call Winterpeg for
very good reason, Jazz was known and appreciated remarkably early in Jazz
history due to a well-attended vaudeville stage that was a common site for
trying out new acts simply because it was so remote a complete failure
would not spoil one's international reputation :)

(in more modern times, however, ie in the years of my own youth, world
trends in music tended to take more like 5-10 years to seep out into the
Mid-West)

--
*Have Blog, Will Travel: blog.teledyn.com*
*A Serviceable Substitute: post.teledyn.com*