[Dixielandjazz] The Big 18

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Mon Feb 18 03:16:43 PST 2013

Buck Clayton told me that he was very unhappy about his work on 'The Big
Eighteen' album. He had wanted to be on form because of the presence of
Charlie Shavers and Rex.
But he couldn't get his sound to come out as it usually did, and he felt
restricted through out the sessions.
When he got home after the last one he took the mouthpiece out to clean
the trumpet and shook the horn. A tiny cleaning brush fell out of the
tube where the mouthpiece fitted. It had been
in the instrument throughout and really spoiled his day.

Incidentally, 'The Big Eighteen' was one of the many benefits that jazz
gained from Elvis Presley. RCA made so much money from his discs that
they needed to disperse it for tax purposes, and that's why they
financed so many apparently obscure jazz albums around that time - a
huge wave of them, in fact.

Steve Voce