[Dixielandjazz] The Big 18

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 13:47:04 PST 2013

In 1958, RCA recorded a tribute to the big bands, issued as the double
album "The Big 18."  I am not sure when it was issued, but the lineup
is great, and so is the music, at least - most of it.  No idea what
the title represents - the band is less than 18, and there are 19
numbers.
Some tunes are easy to allocate to a band: Tuxedo Junction (Miller),
Blues on Parade(Herman), Five O'Clock Drag (Ellington), I'm Prayin'
Humble (Crosby), Summit Ridge Drive (Shaw), Swingtime in the Rockies
(BG), Feet Draggin' Blues (Harry James), Skyliner (Barnett), The
Campbells Are Swinging (trickier, but since the composer is Clinton, I
assume that's the band as well) and Quaker City Jazz (same, except
that here it presumably is Jan Savitt).  The other numbers - I don't
know: Easy Does It, Hors d'Ouvre, Liza (All the Clouds'll Roll Away)
(I have two BG combo renditions),March of the Toys, Parade of the Milk
Bottle Caps, Okay for BAby (Benny CArter?), Celery Stalks at Midnight,
Organ Grinder's Swing.
I know there were many big bands, most of them - sweet, and I hardly
know those, even though I know that they could swing with the best of
them.
Any suggestions?
Cheers