[Dixielandjazz] Baby Face

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Fri Feb 15 14:53:01 PST 2013

Hi Y'All,

I have the melody
(http://www.sacapulses.com/images/tunes/Baby_Face_m.jpg) and chords
(http://www.sacapulses.com/images/tunes/Baby_Face_g.jpg) for the verse
of Baby Face, but I can't find the words anywhere. Googling gave me a
mish mash of tests that I can't fit to the verse melody.

I have the Anderson Index which says page 131 and 59v. Page 131 is the
chorus and page 59 is Aunt Hagar's Blues.

And, on YouTube, I find clips of bands that PLAY the verse, but I can't
find a verse with the verse sung.

On this clip of Whispering Jack Smith
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TbRD0a0njQ), he speaks two versions of
the verse, but I would love to see the words on sheet music.

Here is the Jan Garber Orchestra with lyricist Benny Davis himself
singing the chorus even though the JGO does play the verse
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVRg70P-KJ8).

Any tips?

STOP THE PRESSES: I just found one by someone who goes by the name
Ukester Brown. He sings BOTH verses on the Uke
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17lSafm88GQ). He seems to be a old tune
buff, not a pro muso as he stops several times. But, I got my context.
Thank you, Mr. Brown.

If anyone has the words printed, I'd still go for them. Cuttin' 'n'
pastin' is so much easier than transcribing.

Thanks in advance

-Gary

Gary Kiser
22, rue de Nohanent - Apt 332