[Dixielandjazz] Audubon Zoo (or- They all asked for you) Need LeadSheet

Steve Heist steveheist at videotron.ca
Tue Feb 12 07:43:47 PST 2013

Hi all...

Yes, enunciating will definitely be appropos...  But I constantly have to
remind myself to watch where and how I phrase a song, or how I break up
words in the song...
I was learning the other day, an old song by Don McLean (American Pie fame)
called "Castles in the Air"...
It's a light, breezy song, but at one point in the song I heard McLean
phrase the song a bit unusually.  He sang:

I need a (pause) country woman for my wife...  (a little awkward at the
time, I thought, but I dismissed his odd phrasing...)

UNTIL I was singing a gig and decided to try the song myself...  and I
changed his phrasing and sang the more fluid:

I need a count- (pause) try woman for my wife ...

How embarrassing....

Sometimes you have to learn the same lessons over and over!

ALL the Very Best,
Steve "Stubby" Heist