[Dixielandjazz] Another missed bet in the search for "1919"

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Sat Dec 28 20:26:22 PST 2013

I've just made one more foray into Man's Eternal
Quest for the composer of 1919/1919 March/1919 Rag.

Ten years ago here on DJML, it was pointed out
that Turk played and discussed the tune with
Ralph Gleason on a TV show called "Jazz Casual"
in 1962.  On that show, he stated that 1919 was
originally a French march with a (by him at
least) unpronouncable name that got
changed/simplified to 1919.  That soundtrack was
later released on a Koch Jazz CD (in 1995), which
showed credits of "Michel Jouve-Frank Terran  BMI Woodchuck Music Inc."

(FYI, the old suspicion that 1919 = Rifle Rangers
by Karl King had been properly debunked long before this.  It ain't.)

So it occured to me to do a google search on

         march michel jouve frank terran

which led me into the Library of Congress's
copyright book for 1976, which had this entry:

         1919 rag. Piano £ chant. Paroles de
Prank Terran, pseud, of Andre clergeat, m: traditlonnel,
         arrangeur: M, Jouve, pseud, of nichel
Vlllard, France, it p. French. Nn: arr. £ words,
         O Editions nusicales Vogue Irternational; 8Aug76; EPO-185263,

This entry is obviously rife with typos
introduced in the unedited optical scan of an old
book, but I think we can safely gather than
Terran wrote lyrics, and Jouve did the
arrangement, of a "traditional" tune called "1919
Rag."  Elsewhere in the book, we learn that the
two collaborated (Terran the lyrics, Jouve the
music or arrangement) for "Captain Nartine's
Stick," "Cockatoo Camp Meeting," "Goodbye Ponpano," and "Brazilian Twirling."

I think it's safe to say that Jouve and Terran
had nothing to do with the 1919 that was first
recorded by New Orleans bands in 1946; I'm sure
that Koch went looking for a copyright in 1995 and found this 1976 entry.

But it's still curious that Turk identified it as
a French march back in 1962.  So gentlemen, light
up a Gallois or a Picayune and keep looking.  Vive la France!

--Dick Baker
Working on an updated version of the Stomp Off
Records Tune Titles and Composers Index
See working draft at http://dickbaker.org/stompoff/index.pdf