[Dixielandjazz] Question

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Dec 22 14:23:02 PST 2013

Robert Ringwald wrote:
> On the famous recording of Les Brown and Doris Day, “Sentlemental journey”, who was the sax player playing behind her on the vocal?

Dear Bob,
In my busy pre-Christmas haste, I failed to notice that the above question was sent via the DJML and assumed that it was Off List to me.
So our DJML colleagues would not have received the following Off List reply to you.
Cheers,
Bill.

Dear Bob,
Wow.
What faith you have in my knowledge of our music.
I assume that you are referring to this wartime version recorded for Columbia on 20 November 1944 and widely reissued over the years. The first big hit for Doris.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C49We-xBkNk

I'm old enough to remember it from those days.
The reed section for the Les Brown at time had Les Brown (alto and clarinet) Mark Douglas, George Weidler (alto and clarinet) Ted Nash (tenor) Nick Riviello (tenor and baritone) and Butch Stone (baritone).
Take your pick, but it seems a bit too low register for Brown's alto.
Maybe not.
Very kind regards,
Bill.