[Dixielandjazz] Who was Gordon Means of "Hello, Lola"?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Dec 16 19:04:45 PST 2013

Dick Baker wrote:
> The Mound City Blue Blowers recorded "Hello, Lola" in late 1929 for Victor... The composer credit on the record labels is McKenzie-Means.  And, remarkably, the copyright registration is just to McKenzie-Means, no first names.... Several sources name him as Gordon Means, but I can't find any evidence of a musician or composer named Gordon Means.  Can anybody identify him?

Dear Dick,
A reference to Gordon Means can be found on page 62 of John Chilton's 1990 book 'The Song Of The Hawk. The Life and Recordings of Coleman Hawkins'.
According to Hawkins "We named 'Hello Lola' for the girlfriend of a rich fellow named Gordon Means who was always helping out McKenzie and Eddie Condon who didn't even have coffee money then. It seems Lola was a popular girl because Max Kaminsky remembered her as a girlfriend of Pee Wee Russell, one who sliced up Pee Wee's clothes after they had an argument."
There are footnote references.
Very kind regards,
Bill