[Dixielandjazz] Another George Buck obituary--The Advocate, Baton Rouge, LA

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 11:53:38 PST 2013

I have been a Jazzology customer since 1968, when it was still illegal for
me to send money abroad, so I had either to send cash or ask relatives
about to visit here to make my orders.  Actually, I sent cash for the first
one: Wild Bill DAvison and His Jazzologists, Wild Bill DAvison with the
Alex Wesk Band and Kid Howard at the San Jacinto Hall, and had it delivered
to my wilfe's uncle, who beought them over (the customs here might have
doubled the price if delivered by mail).  And I really did appreciate the
late George H. Buck's efforts.
But I take issue with John Pult's statement " efforts to preserve the music
of the early 20th century."  I don't believe that jazz is "the music of the
early 20th century" - jazz is happening NOW!  Mr Pult mentions recordings
"to the current day," a statement contradicting the foregoing one.  Jazz
probably originated in the early 20th century, perhaps even before, but has
been going on all this time.
Sometime in the 1980's a Voice of Israel broadcaster asked my what period
of jazz I liked (she was an ardent modernist), and my answer was: "Jazz is
NOW."   The records I chose to play corroborated it - the oldest was over
10 years old, but the newest one was recorded in the year of the broadcast.
Cheers