[Dixielandjazz] Naughty sweetie blues

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sun Dec 8 13:02:33 PST 2013

I could suggest Naughty Sweetie Blues as the name for something not connected with that specific tune, but rather the pianist, after a date with whom Coleman Hawkins observed (see John Chilton's Hawk Biography) that he liked to LISTEN to Earl Hines.

If anything was going to go wrong in a performance unusually slow and featuring a clarinetist with as big a sound as Jimmie Noone's, I'd think it most likely the clarinetist would be in trouble, holding together a great swatch of harmonics.

Remarkable performance from Maestro Noone,

and from Bud Scott a remarkable biting sound, dramatic, and highly appropriate, and with all the more feeling of effort because of the need to attend to the rollings and rumblings of the Hines piano. All in all a tightrope-walking exercise -- or tightrope-dancing.

I don't think Bud Scott was meant to sound comfortable on this one,  and perhaps the slower tempo and the rumbling piano were directed toward creating a performance darker than had been usual with that number.

On a lighter dark note, there is that lovely live performance by the man Ralph Sutton called Wellstride, making the statement that while the composition is still called THE ENTERTAINER that pianist found yet again playing it yet again a decided drag.

Something more poignantly painful is suggested by the Noone -- News my Sassy Beauty broke to me....

aah!
Robert R. Calder