[Dixielandjazz] FW: Recorded Tempos

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Dec 7 03:15:01 PST 2013

Bill wrote:
>Why do all revivalist bands insist on playing "Blues My Naughty Sweetie
Gives to Me" at breakneck speed when Jimmie Noone laid down the near perfect
tempo in 1928?

Interesting...this thread on tempos.  I thoroughly agree with Ken, whom I
believe started the thread, that a recording reflects the "tempo decided on
for that day" idea.  Little did the greats know that years later people
would be discussing what is correct or not correct.

Although some songs sort of dictate the tempo, by the words or the melody
notes involved, many songs can be performed at sometimes wildly different
tempos to create a different mood...as Jimmy Noone has done with Blues My
Naughtie Sweetie in the recording offered up by Bill.

We tend to play it at a romping speed, but I may just try that slow beat
once for the fun of it.  I tend to think, though, that that particular song
will "push ahead" slightly as displayed by the guitarist's intentions in the
JN recording.

We often change our tempos, just to introduce a new feeling into a song.
Ja-da is one that is great when played really slow & laid back...but, is
equally fun at an up-tempo.  If at least one table of young ladies don't
start to make believe that they are peeling off long gloves & stockings
while we are playing the slow version, I don't feel we have the tempo right!

The list could go on & on.... Back Home..in Indiana is another that can be
played at breakneck speed or as a light swing...Sweet Georgia Brown...

What's good for one band might be awful for another.

Jim