[Dixielandjazz] Recorded Tempos

Paul Kurtz Jr kurtzph at comcast.net
Fri Dec 6 20:35:11 PST 2013

You know, guys, I’m realizing or at least rethinking as i read these posts. I’m no dancer whatsoever which is truly embarrassing for a musician. I have 5 left feet that step on each other. But! My mother used to tell me about all of the bands, big and small, that came through Jacksonville, FL prior to and during WWII. I can remember her humming tunes she’d heard from that time and there were rhythms assumed based on dance steps and foot movements. I think we don’t want to lose that aspect of thinking about the music, either. Different dances, different steps, and different rhythms for these things. I can hear them even if I’m crummy at stepping them.

Paul Kurtz Jacksonville, FL